Treadmill Vs Outdoor Running
Whether you prefer running indoors vs outdoors, each method of running has its own pros and cons. Here we will quickly break down each method to help you decide which is best for you.
Keep in mind that factors such as personal preference and mood plus conditions that are out of your control, like the weather, will play an additional role in deciding whether you want to run indoors or outdoors.
Running Indoors On A Treadmill
- It’s easier on the joints. Most treadmills have cushioned decks that make lessen the impact on your knees, hips and ankles when running. Plus, if you follow these treadmill running tips you’ll further prevent any injuries from occurring!
- Treadmill running is physically easier than running on the ground because the treadmill belt pulls your feet back behind you. This may or may not be a pro depending on how you look at it.
- You don’t have to worry about the weather being too cold or hot or too wet. Running indoors can be performed all year round regardless of the weather.
- You can get a good cardio workout while watching your favorite show on TV.
- Most treadmills have built in programs to mimic different terrain types like hills and will automatically adjust speed, etc.
- There are many different treadmill running apps available for your smart phone to help you get the most out of your workout!
- Same as number two above, you’re not getting as physically demanding of a workout while on the treadmill.
- You’re stuck in the same spot every time you run so you may get bored.
- Treadmills cost money, sometimes a lot, while running outdoors is free.
- If you rely on your treadmill as your sole running source and it breaks, you are out of action until it gets fixed.
- It’s 100% free to do!
- It doesn’t waste any energy – great for those going green.
- You can vary your workouts by taking different paths each time, effectively combating boredom.
- The biggest for many is that running on hard surfaces like the street or sidewalk is hard on the joints.
- The weather may inhibit you from running.
- Safety is an issue. You have to worry about colliding with cars, bicyclists and other objects or even dogs and other animal attacks.